Saturday, January 4, 2014

Seriously, how long does it take me to update this thing?

Yeah, it's been over a year since I last posted something here. A lot has happened in my own life as well as the world in that time period.

First thing: I have graduated from my community college and am currently going to a state college. The college is definitely nice. I'm majoring in creative writing. I do have to have a second major or a minor with it. I'm indecisive over what I want to get. There is a major downside to being an English major. There are a ton of textbooks. I had 15 books last semester, and I'm going to have 18 textbooks this next semester. Fortunately, they're fairly inexpensive, so it won't cost a ton to get them.

There is an LGBTQ club at the school. I went to the meetings this past semester, and it was pretty neat. I'm also living in the dorms at school, so it's easier to go to the club meetings.

Second thing: I did have a really horrible teacher my last semester at my community college. I mean, the tests are easy and I got a B in the class, however her lessons are shitty. She lives in an opposite world where it is the straight, white, Christian man who is discriminated against and not anyone else. Hell, during one of her lessons, she claimed that it was straight people who were really discriminated against. Her proof of this discrimination? people in the military can march in pride parade and gay partners of military members can live on the bases. Yes, that is all she gave. Most countries have laws making being gay illegal, but it's the straight people who are discriminated against. thousands of LGBT people are beaten or killed every year, but it's the straight people who are discriminated against. Most state have laws banning same sex couples from getting married, but it's really the straight people who face discrimination. People can be fired for being gay in most states (including where I live), but it's the straight people facing discrimination. This woman is so full of shit. I'll have to talk more about her at a different time.

I haven't really read or watched anything bad this passed year. I've read some boring or mediocre books, but nothing very horrendous. My brother did buy Man of Steel (which we watched). I could write about that. I'm thinking about writing about the anime; Loveless. It's mainly because everything is confusing as well as the fact that a college student is kissing a 12 year old kid. It seems like the manga is pretty popular, so I'll probably check out that manga and see how it is compared to the anime.

I don't have any books finished. I think I have began a few more books since the last time I've written here. It seems like begin books more than I finish. I have a week before school starts, so hopefully I'll get some more written during that time.

Now about what's going on around the US and the world...

I guess I haven't said this, but I absolutely love Skyrim. I play it as often as I can. I'm also playing Oblivion and Morrowind. For those interested in the game series, there is a mod (or DLC depending on what you prefer) being made by the fans called Skywind. It is a mod where you can play Morrowind with Skyrim graphics. You are able to play it even though it's not finished. You will need Skyrim as well as Morrowind with its DLCs. I have played a bit of it. It has crashed on me a few times, though it's probably my fault. You do have to download the voices separately, though not all of the voices are there. Most of the NPC don't have clothes on them. The characters in the caves also tend to attack each other, as well. Other than that and a few others, the mod is pretty good.

Many of you probably know about Russia's "gay propaganda" law. It is a homophobic law that bans "propaganda" to minors. Russian can be arrested under this law while those who aren't Russian can be deported. Putin claims that he isn't homophobic and that the law isn't homophobic. Apparently he doesn't understand what homophobia means. this is a law that directly targets a group of people for being gay and no other group. People are kidnapping and torturing gays for being gay. Gay bars are being targeted and vandalized. These are acts of homophobia.

A question that has been popping up for the past few months is what's going to happen with the Sochi Olympics. What's going to happen with the gay athletes as well as LGBT members of the audience? I don't know. It's all confusing. The second question is whether we should boycott the Olympics or not. I would be in the dorms for much of the Olympics. If you don't want to watch it in protest, great. If you want to watch, but still want to protest, you could try watching it on Youtube or recording it. If you really want to watch the Olympics, you could do something for the LGBT community. Some thing you can do are donate to LGBT groups, specifically those for the Russian LGBT community. You could also do some activities at your schools or work, like a gay Olympic games. Probably the best thing to do would be bringing attention to the propaganda laws, like talking to friends, family, and coworkers about what's going on in Russia. I'm planning on wearing my gay pride clothing an jewelry.

Another thing that has happened is that Nigeria and Uganda are in the process of making laws making homosexuality illegal. What's happening in Nigeria is that it's banning marriage between same sex couples. These bans have hefty jail sentences. They don't just affect gay couples, but also anyone associated with the wedding. It also bans LGBT organizations and anyone who expresses their sexuality in public. Uganda has also passed a ban on homosexuality. Although there is no death sentence, there is life in prison sentence.

Another thing that a lot of you have probably heard is about the Duck Dynasty fiasco. For those who don't know, the main guy from a shitty TV show said some homophobic and racist things. A&E suspended him, which caused other homophobes to throw a fit. A bit over a week later, A&E lifted the suspension claiming they have to be "tolerant". People have claimed that it was an infringement on the freedom of speech to have him suspended. For the first part, he was not arrested, thus his freedom of speech hadn't been infringed. Another thing: freedom of speech does not mean freedom from the consequences of that speech. If you say hateful things about the gay community, people aren't going to be all "oh it's what you believe so go ahead and beat me with your bible". People have every right to boycott your shit. A&E's actions also show they just care about money. All they have done was slap the guy's had and say don't do that again. All this has done is make me want to watch the show even less than I did.

Now, not everything is all bad. Several states have legalized marriage equality. The two most recent states are New Mexico and Utah. Now Utah is a bit complex. A judge has rule Utah's ban unconstitutional. The judge did give some great reasons why it was unconstitutional. If you haven't read his ruling, be sure to do so. It can be found just about anywhere. Utah is appealing the case, so it'll be a while before a definite yes or no for Utah. For now, same sex couples are able to legally marry in Utah. Right now, one-third of the US allow same sex couples to get married.

Hopefully more state will let us get married this year. There are other thing we will need to work to get. Just a couple of things are non-discrimination laws and adoption. We also need work more against bullying.

There's not much else to talk about that is recent. There is a snow storm that has frigid temperatures that's going to hit the Midwest pretty soon. I won't be getting too much of the severe stuff here, though it still going to be below freezing temperatures. That'll be a bunch of fun. Fortunately I won't have to go outside during that time. For those who have to deal with the cold, be sure to bundle up and stay warm.

I'll try to post more. Though by my previous posts, it will be a while. I'm Morey Bibliophage. Be sure to stay warm and have a great year.

No comments:

Post a Comment