Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My Brother is Sick, the Doctors Don't Know What's Wrong, and my Brother Needs Donations

   Yeah, I know I haven't posted in a few months, as is usual. As anyone who can read further down my blog would know that I usually either review bad book/movies or talk about LGBT issues. This post is going to be different. This post is about someone really close to me. I'm putting a lot of hope in this that this will work.

   As the title states, my brother is sick and is in need of donations. I have a page to the top right of my blog that will give a brief summary about my brother's condition as well as the link to give donations. That page will stay there as long as my sister-in-law has the funding going on.

Peter (my brother), his wife, and their daughter

   Now a little bit about my brother. My brother, Peter, just turned 27 in May. He married his wife about 6 years ago, and has a five year old daughter (who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 3).

   The word I would use to describe my brother would be smart. He was the smartest out of all of my siblings. He was able to ace the GED exam without studying for it. He has been able to build computers for a few year. Before my brother got married and moved out, my parents would go to my brother with any of their computer problems. My parents would still go to him whenever they have a computer problem that I can't solve. He was going to a local community college for accounting, though he hasn't gone the last couple of semesters.

   The second thing I would describe about Peter is that he loves technology. He would look for the latest phone, tablet, and gaming console. There would be no doubt if there's a new Samsung phone, he's looked into it, tried it out, and will give you his full opinion about the device. I could always trust his opinion if I were needing to buy pretty much anything that has to do with technology.

  The third, and most important, thing I would describe about Peter is that he is loving and well loved. He absolutely loves and adores his wife and daughter. He would do anything for them. Hell, he would give them the world if it was possible. He would protect anyone in his family no matter the cost, and we would do the same thing for him. Our family is very close to each other. We try to keep in contact with each other no matter how far away we live from each other. If something happens to one of us, the rest of us will feel the pain. We want to help each other, and this is my way of helping right now.

   I received a call from my mom around April telling me that Peter was in the hospital because they thought he was having a stroke. My brother had really high blood pressure, numbness in his hands and feet, and had slurred speech. The doctor at the ER didn't find anything on the tests. They told him he was just having a panic attack and sent him on his way without figuring out what was wrong with him. He went to the hospital two other times with the doctors telling him that it was just a panic attack and sending him on his way. One of the doctors even had the audacity to tell my brother that perfectly fine to have a fast heart rate because he was young.

   My brother's condition has continued to become worse in the last few months. My sister-in-law told my mom just yesterday that Peter has a hard time walking or speaking. My brother has been to several doctors, and had several blood tests and MRIs done within the last few months. The doctors agree that he wasn't having a panic attack, but the tests that were done would show up as normal. The general consensus from the doctors seem to be they don't know what's wrong.

   The medical bills have been increasing with each doctor visit and each test. Because of his condition, he is unable to work. He is unable to get disabilities because there is no definite diagnosis, and he is unable to get unemployment because his job still has him as working there even though he hasn't worked in several months. I think he got health insurance when his health got worse. With him not able to work, his family has been running out of money to pay for their regular bills as well as Peter's medical bills. My sister-in-law is unable to work since their daughter has diabetes, and needs multiple injections of insulin each day.

   I wish I could do so much more. I wish I could give all of my money to my brother, but I have no money. My parents are also poor. We've never had a whole lot of money. My parents will try to give a part of their paychecks to my brother whenever they can. I won't have money until sometime after school starts (which is a month away).

   My family is trying to figure out ways to help raise money. We've been thinking about getting help from my parents' church and possibly having a bake sale locally. I was thinking about having a bake sale at my school when the fall semester starts. Right now, this post, my blog, is my way of helping.


   The link above goes to the fundraising site my sister-in-law started to help with the bills. If they can get the funds to help with their bill, they could focus on finding out what is happening to Peter. Please donate some money to this. Even something as little as $10 can help. Even if you can't donate any money, just share the link on Facebook, Twitter, and your own blogs or websites. Maybe if enough people see the link and donate some money, my brother's family can reach their goal.

   I'll try to write more on my blog. I'll update about Peter's condition as well as write more about LGBT issues and reviewing bad books/movies. Maybe I'll set a goal that if the donations reach the stated goal of $10,000 I'll review whatever people think is the worst movie or book of all times. It's not much, but it's what I can do right now. This is for my family. I love my family, and will do what I can to help, and I hope others will help as well. Thank you.

~Morey Bibliophage~

No comments:

Post a Comment